Gregory & Dolores Farrell Scholarships for 2019 – Applications Now Open
The Gregory & Dolores Farrell Scholarships for students who use a wheelchair for mobility undertaking tertiary education in NSW will again be administered by the SpineCare Foundation in 2019.
The closing date for applications for 2019 is Monday 28th January 2019. Students who are completing year 12 at the end of this year will be eligible to apply if they plan on attending university in 2019. Students who are part of the way through a tertiary course are also eligible to apply.
The Gregory and Dolores Farrell Scholarships
These scholarships were first offered in 2004 and are supported by the family of the late Gregory and Dolores Farrell. Gregory Patrick Farrell OAM was a founding Director of the SpineCare Foundation. The scholarships are available to students who use a wheelchair for mobility, who are undertaking an undergraduate or higher degree, and for those who will be pursuing post-graduate study overseas.
The aim of the scholarship is to support integration into tertiary education. It is acknowledged that students with a disability may have additional obstacles to overcome in accessing a tertiary education, particularly the additional costs involved, which can be considerable and variable according to the degree of disability.
In 2019, five scholarships of up to $5,000 each will be offered to students in New South Wales who use a wheelchair for mobility and are attending university.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND SCHOLARSHIP CONDITIONS
- Scholarships are only for students who use a wheelchair for mobility, who are Australian citizens and who have been accepted into a university course in NSW or are currently enrolled in one. Students who are proceeding to a higher degree are also eligible, as are students who have been accepted for post-graduate study in Australia and overseas.
- Applications must be lodged by the close of business on Monday 28th January 2019 with the attached application form. Applications may be posted or e-mailed.
- The successful applicants will be chosen by a Selection Committee. If placed on a short list, it may be necessary for applicants to attend an interview in Sydney in mid-February 2019.
- Successful applicants will be advised in the first week of March 2019.
- As a condition of the scholarship, it will be necessary for the successful students to submit mid-year and end of year results, as well as a report on how the scholarship funds have been spent. Unallocated funds at the end of the year will need to be returned.
- Funding has been made available for one year only, subject to review for further assistance, but successful applicants may reapply for future years.
Please find the attached the application form and recipient guidelines. If you require any further information, please contact the signed below.
We look forward to receiving applications and thank you for disseminating this information.
Isabel Chapman – SpineCare Project Officer
Northcott – Level 7, 1 C Burdett Street, Hornsby NSW 2077
P: 1800 818 286 M: 0439 166 268 F: 02 9683 2827
I acknowledge and respect the traditional owners of the land that I work on